Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Day 8

Day 8

Today was the last day of the mission for team one. We travelled one and half hours to the town of Ancon. It's the childhood hometown of Milly Estrada, our logistics coordinator in Peru. Once again this was a modern clinic that was well suited for our clinic. I set up in a nice quiet room. The only problem was that I had no power in the plug outlets. Mike Hayes found a tripped circuit and I was in business.

I actual had a waiting room of sorts in an outside lobby. From the beginning the lobby was full. I worked throughout the day testing and fitting people. I made the decision early on to  test and fit everyone first and then teach them all how to use the aids at the end. This meant that everyone had to wait all day, but it was the only way that I could see everyone.

It became pretty frenetic and I didn't think I would be able to see everyone. I worked through lunch for the third day in a row.  At one point Millie came up and asked how long it would take me to finish. I told her two hours. It was 3 o'clock. She told me that the were closing down at 4. I told her I would do the best I could.

At 4 I looked out into the waiting room. It was still full. I texted Millie, I told her that we needed to talk. She came upstairs and asked me what was up. I told her that there was no way I could see all those people in the time left. She would have to tell some of them that they would have to go home.

She asked if there was someone that could help me. I told her that Brother Lupe knew how to teach the people how to use the aids. She told me she would get him on it. At 5, Millie popped her head in and asked if I could see 4 more people? I told that  I willing was stay as long as it takes but what about the rest of the team? The had the bus all packed and ready to go.

In true team fashion, they all decided to give me the time I needed. They went down to the beach to chill and drink a few beers. They're the best. I worked as fast as I could and fit everyone. It worked out perfect. At the beginning of the mission I started with 40 aids. By the end of the day, I had fit 40 aids.

I packed up quickly got on the bus and off we went. I've never fit that many aids in a day before. But it gave me great satisfaction that I was able to help as many as I could.

Having completed my leg of the mission, I'm looking forward to going with Maureen to Cuzco and Matsu Piccu for five days of rest before we head for home. I'll continue to post and send pictures of Cuzco and Matsu Piccu. My thoughts and prayers will be with team two as they head to Esperanza. At the edge of the Amazon jungle.

For team one it's Mission Accomplished!!!


3 comments:

  1. Nice David!!!! :-) El Pato Donald is the man!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for all the nice comments! You know that's not a requirement of employment!

      Delete
    2. Thanks for all the nice comments! You know that's not a requirement of employment!

      Delete