Sunday, July 3, 2016

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post as a blogger. It's a brave new world!! I want to thank my niece  Alisa for setting this up for me and holding my hand while I got started. You're the best!!! Here goes.

Our first day of traveling for Maureen and I was grueling. Twelve hours of traveling!! We arrived in Lima okay. Then 1 1/2 hours of traveling by van to Chosica. The craziest driver I've ever encountered. He made cabbies in Manhattan seem tame. To be fair, all the divers are crazy. Many of the public buses have multiple dents from being rear ended or sideswiped. We arrived safely (gracias adios) to a lovely  compound we have to ourselves with our own cook and driver (the guy that brought us from the airport). We spent some time unloading and sorting supplies and then chilled, Tomorrow we go to Mass and then into town for supplies.

I also want to thank the Rotary club of San Francisco Greater Mission for helping to sponsor this medical mission, Frances J. for donating batteries, Oticon Fund for their generous donation of hearing aids, my brother Bruce and Kaiser Permanente  for the donation of Low vision devices, Armando from AR Optical for making eyeglasses and Ray-O-Vac fro hearing aid batteries.

Attache are some pictures of our team and living quarters.

talk to you soon,

Dave Vasquez



2 comments:

  1. The house and grounds look beautiful! Glad you both made it there safely. What was for dinner? How's the weather?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The weather has been nice and mild, fairly humid but not too bad. It's winter here but it hardly ever rains. Lots of smog. It smells like someone's burning wood when you first wake up. It kind of bothers your eyes. Papas fritas, arroz and pan are staples at most meals.We had carne asada with the aforementioned staples for dinner. We are not eating any salads only cooked vegetables and fruit that have rinds: watermelons, oranges, papayas, avacado and bananas.

      Delete