Monday, July 4, 2016

Day two

Yesterday we went to 9:30 mass at a nearby church. It was an amazing church. It had a four story bell tower. It was made entirely out of cement. Most of the outside and all of the inside was unfinished (there was some tile and stone on the outside). There was no glass in the windows (it made it a little hard to hear the priest with the traffic going by outside), no doors and the floors were rough cement. There were a couple of small statues and a relatively small crucifix on the wall behind the altar. Simple wooden pews with wooden kneelers. A large cement choir loft at the back of the church.  In a back corner of the church was the confessional,  a small three foot high screen with chairs on either side. This is a large church surrounded by high walls at the street.

What struck me about this church was it's simplicity. It's obvious that this was all this parish could afford to build. It looks like it's still under construction. I'm sure that they hope someday to have windows or doors. Or to tile the high domed ceiling above the alter. To finish the tile and stone on the outside, tile the floor inside and paint the walls. But for now they can be proud of what they have accomplished. It reminds that church is community not a building. I think we sometimes forget that in our ornate buildings back home.

After mass we went to the local supermarket (think Target or Walmart) to buy some food supplies we didn't have. Afterwards we had lunch at a local restaurant. Two types of chicken and yes those staples I keep talking about. And man who obviously had one too many cervezas, played "Falling in love with you" by Elvis Presley in our honor. Oh, did I mention that the van we've been riding in needs to be pushed every time to jump start it. It makes for good comic relief. I'll post a picture of us doing it in a later blog.

After dinner we had a meeting to go over the logistics of the upcoming week. Five clinics in five days in five cities. I want to thank my super staff Celina, Karen and Anna (Nina too) for holding down the fort while I'm gone. I know I can focus on my mission to help people here and not worry about the office.

Now the fun begins.

til next time

2 comments:

  1. I cant wait to read your future updates. I have a feeling you are going to make a huge impact on this trip Dave. I'm proud of you brother.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty cool David! Proud of you too :-)

    ReplyDelete